Just how much are we all subsidizing the Boy Scouts of America?
- BSA, Inc. had (untaxed) profits of $31 million on revenues of $238 million.
- During the year BSA had an estimated $60 million of expenses that would have otherwise been subjected to state and local sales taxes
- Partly because of not-for-profit tax treatment, the National Council has accumulated assets in excess of one billion dollars.
- Through municipal authorities, in 2010 BSA issued $100 million of bonds on which the interest received by investors is tax exempt.
- Donors received over $50 million of tax deductions for contributions to BSA.
I am not suggesting that BSA is not a legitimate non-profit