When my passport expired I was, and still am, recovering from both a gunshot wound and PTSD. I wasn't going to travel overseas unless some European scientist comes up with the miracle hip replacement-replacement. Therefore, I renewed my passport with one of those nifty passport cards which serves as ideal photo ID and proof of citizenship except to vote in Florida. Ugh! In 2010, I cast an absentee New York ballot.
I have two choices:
- I can use my passport card to get a passport book (which is valid for voting). That's a problem because I am
cheapfrugal. $135 solely for the privilege of voting?
- I can obtain a Florida non-driver DMV ID.
- First I have to get a copy of my social security card (my wallet got lost in the shuffle when I was shot). That's free.
- Once I receive the social security card, I need to take it, along with some utility bills and a bank statement to DMV which is about a 20 mile schlep.
- Then all I have to do is plunk down $25 and hope that I get the right clerk in the right mood from the right line on the right day and voila!
Photo ID is required to get a copy of one's social security card. A social security card is required to get photo ID.
In other words, without my US passport card, I would be shit-outa-luck. Republicans haven't created a job since 2010 but they sure as hell know how to effect voter suppression.